Year 3 shortlisted entries to feature in exhibition at new Design Museum
After an exciting process of reviewing entries and a great deal of discussion, deliberation and debate, the shortlist for the third AXA PPP Health Tech & You Awards has been revealed today. The Awards programme discovers, promotes and supports cutting-edge health technology innovations through entries across six categories from students, designers, developers, entrepreneurs and healthcare professionals from the UK and around the world.
The winners will be announced at a prestigious Awards ceremony to be held at the new Design Museum in Kensington, London on 27th April, 2017. At the same time all 17 finalists will be showcased in an exclusive interactive exhibition at the Museum until 8th May, 2017.
Now in its third year, the AXA PPP Health Tech & You Awards is an initiative led by AXA PPP healthcare that has established and promoted widespread awareness of the rapid rise of health tech and continues to empower people everywhere to use technology to live life well today and in the future and be more in control of their health and wellbeing.
The successful shortlist of entries that will be showcased at the exhibition includes:
- A smartphone app to help children and young people manage their urge to self-harm by completing a selection of tasks tailored to combat the main triggers of self-harming
- The world’s largest social network for health supporting millions of people to improve their health through online peer support and self-management
- The first approved Grade 1 medical device in the form of an app to help people living with asthma understand more about their condition and how to manage it
- An interactive platform to help tackle people’s anxiety about forgetting people and places by linking photos, videos and shared histories as reminders
- An innovative range of clothes and accessories that stimulate and improve awareness of the senses; designed to help alleviate anxiety, stress and panic attacks for people affected by autism and for those living busy and stressful lifestyles
Representatives from the AXA PPP Health Tech & You programme evaluated every entry to select a shortlist of up to three per category. These representatives included founding partners 2020health and the Design Museum, as well as category partners; The Helen Hamlyn Centre for Design – Royal College of Art, The Bakery and The Age of No Retirement. Prestigious judging panels consisting of leading figures from healthcare, design, technology and media then met to decide each category winner.
Richard Cooper, Head of Digital and Content Marketing, AXA PPP healthcare, states: “Now in its third year, we are delighted to see the AXA PPP Health Tech & You Awards growing from strength-to-strength. This year’s calibre of entries is a demonstration of the wide-ranging innovative projects currently being developed and how the sector has grown in such a short space of time. This year we have seen a trend in the increase in entries incorporating artificial intelligence, which through its nature of increased interactivity and understanding of an individual has the ability to make an even greater impact on the health and wellbeing of all sections of society.
“On behalf of our partners, we would like to thank everyone who took the time to enter. We congratulate those who have been shortlisted on this great achievement and look forward to applauding the winners at the Awards ceremony in April.”
Critiquing nearly 190 entries proved a challenging task given the high standard of entries.
Julia Manning, Chief Executive of 2020health comments: "Since the Awards were first launched in 2014, we have seen a consistent flow of high quality entries, which has continued in this, our third year of the Awards. We are really excited at being able to share cutting edge innovation and publicise these leading organisations and inspiring individuals utilising health technologies. Sustainable health will depend on consumers and providers embracing the opportunities that digital health tech offers."